6-8 Weeks Prior to Move:
- Inventory your household possessions. Decide which items to move and which not to move.
- Call White Glove for a free estimate. We offer professional packing crews that will save countless hours or we can inform you on number of boxes needed. Less lead time is needed for local moves.
- Create a moving binder to keep track of all inventory, estimates and receipts.
- Secure your ideal move date with White Glove; no deposits required.”
- Utilize the Updater link to transfer utilities, publications, mailing address & more
- Gather family records: medical, dental, school, birth, marriage, financial, insurance, wills, forward transcripts to your new school system.
- Finalize your living arrangements, home-owners/renters insurance as new location.
2-3 Weeks Prior to Move:
- Fill and transfer prescription medications
- Advise insurance companies of your pending move and update policies.
- Make separate shipping arrangements for pets and plants
- Make personal travel plans for your move, such as airline tickets, hotel reservations, serving of your vehicle and road maps for your trip routing.
- If packing yourself, start now and be sure to clearly label each box.
- Cancel club memberships (most require advance notice)
- Use your Updater link to start mail forwarding, bill changing, etc.
- Safely dispose of or give away all flammable materials (paints, paint removers, other solvents, and propane tanks). These items cannot be moved in the van.
- If moving to a new state, transfer your driver’s license.
1 Week Before Move:
- Defrost refrigerator and freezer. Allow sufficient drying time to prevent mildew.
- Dispose of food items that require refrigeration.
- Collect all items from separate locations (office, school, clubs, etc.) and bring them home to pack and move.
- Make arrangements for child care and pet care on moving day. Be sure to obtain your vet records.
- Return library books or items borrowed from neighbors or friends.”
- “Transfer funds from checking and savings accounts to new accounts in your new community.
- Items that are affixed to a wall or ceiling must be taken down in order for the movers to pack and ship them. This includes ceiling fans, light fixtures, drapery rods, etc.
- Trash cans and barbeque grills must be free of debris and washed out prior to loading day.
- Remove and pack bed linens in dresser drawers for convenience or in cartons.
- Pack items to be carried in your car and mark each carton: DO NOT MOVE!
- Be available to check items on your inventory sheet as the leave your house to be loaded on the van. When all cartons and furnishings have been loaded on the van, conduct a last minute walk through.
- Check all closets, make sure windows are shut and locked, lights are turned off and doors are locked.
- Walk through the new location and verify placement of furniture.
- Get copies of all shipping documents including proof of payment to your movers.
- Enjoy the “Welcome to Your New Home” Bag.
- Should something be missing, find something damaged or to schedule a debris removal call White Glove.