Moving Calendar Checklist Countdown
When planning for a move, there are many tasks that need to be complete. Often times, you are able to start a number of these weeks in advance. As part of our professional opinion, here are various items you ought to do ahead of time to ensure a smooth transition.
6-8 Weeks Prior to Move:
- Inventory your household possessions. Decide which items to move and which not to move.
- Call White Glove for a free estimate. We offer professional packing crews that will save countless hours or we can inform you on number of boxes needed. Less lead time is needed for local moves.
- Create a moving binder to keep track of all inventory, estimates and receipts.
- Secure your ideal move date with White Glove; no deposits required.
- Begin calling to transfer utilities, publications, mailing address & more
- Gather family records: medical, dental, school, birth, marriage, financial, insurance, wills, forward transcripts to your new school system.
- Finalize your living arrangements, home-owners/renters insurance as new location.
2-3 Weeks Prior to Move:
- Fill and transfer prescription medications
- Advise insurance companies of your pending move and update policies.
- Make separate shipping arrangements for pets and plants
- Make personal travel plans for your move, such as airline tickets, hotel reservations, servicing of your vehicle and highlight road maps/directions for your trip.
- If packing yourself, start now and be sure to clearly label each box.
- Cancel club memberships (most require advance notice)
- Start mail forwarding, bill changing, etc.
- Reserve your building’s elevator for your move date.
- Safely dispose of or give away all flammable materials (paints, paint removers, other solvents, and propane tanks). These items cannot be moved in the van.
- If moving to a new state, transfer your driver’s license.
1 Week Before Move:
- Defrost refrigerator and freezer. Allow sufficient drying time to prevent mildew.
- Dispose of food items that require refrigeration.
- Collect all items from separate locations (office, school, clubs, etc.) and bring them home to pack and move.
- Make arrangements for child care and pet care on moving day. Be sure to obtain your vet records.
- Return library books or items borrowed from neighbors or friends.”
- Transfer funds from checking and savings accounts to new accounts in your new community if applicable.
- Items that are affixed to a wall or ceiling must be taken down in order for the movers to pack and ship them. This includes ceiling fans, light fixtures, drapery rods, etc.
- Trash cans and barbecue grills must be free of debris and washed out prior to loading day.
- Remove and pack bed linens in dresser drawers for convenience or in cartons.
- Pack items to be carried in your car and mark each carton: DO NOT MOVE!
- Be available to check items on your inventory sheet as the leave your house to be loaded on the van. When all cartons and furnishings have been loaded on the van, conduct a last minute walk through.
- Check all closets, make sure windows are shut and locked, lights are turned off and doors are locked.
- Walk through the new location and verify placement of furniture.
- Get copies of all shipping documents including proof of payment to your movers.
- Enjoy the “Welcome to Your New Home” Bag.
- Schedule a debris removal by calling White Glove.
Still have questions? We understand and are here to help answer those inquiries and more. Remember, when it comes to a move the more you plan, the better it will be once you settle into your new space. However, if it is a sudden move, we are here to make it as cost effective and seamless as possible.
2175 45th Street, Vero Beach, FL 32967 | Map It!